Burton-in-Lonsdale History

 

 

                       Home|   News   Churches   Local Gazette Village ShopParish CouncilVillage HallParish Plan |  Sports

 

 

 

Castle

Primary School

Burton Potteries

Local History Links

Burton History

The earliest documentary reference to Burton-in-Lonsdale is in the Domesday book, which tells us that the township was in the holding of Tostig, Earl of Northumberland, and was a subsidiary vilage of Whittington in the Lune valley. Under the Normans, a castle was built at Burton to support a newly established castle at Carlisle. >> more information

Burton Castle

Castle Hill, Burton in Lonsdale, is a large and imposing site, sitting on the outskirts of the village next to the church and dominating the route alongside the river Greta from Hornby (Lancaster) to Ingleton. The motte is some 9.6m higher than the surrounding fields and retains a breastwork wall around the upper part of the mound. A nearly square bailey lies on the west side of the motte and a second semi-lunar bailey is to the south. There are remains of both the outer defensive ditch and a counterscarp bank outside this. Excavations carried out in 1904 suggested that the site originated as a ringwork in the 12th century and was converted into a motte some time later. The site went out of use in the mid 14th century.

Further information can be found at the following:

Richard Thornton's Primary School

Richard Thornton's Church Endowed School opened in 1854. A local-born entrepreneur, Richard Thornton, financed the building of the school. The curriculum included subjects we are familiar with today such as reading, arithmetic, science, geography and religious instruction. Pupils learned to write in sand trays and progressed to slate boards and pen and paper as they moved up the school. Today the school remains very much a part of the community.Part of the North Yorkshire Local Authority and a member of the Three Peaks Family of Schools, it is a small, 2 class primary school open for children from the age of 4 (Reception year) to the age of 10 (Year 5). >>>more information

Burton Potteries

Burton was once home to thirteen potteries and it was due to smoke from the kilns that the village became known as 'Black Burton'. The first potteries appeared in the late 1600's early 1700's and reached a peak of 13 working within a mile of the village centre in the 1800's. The Bateson family of the area were associated with pottery production for over 200 years. Amongst the potteries belonging to the Bateson family over the period were Bleaberry pottery, Greata (Greta) Bank pottery, Greata Mount pottery, Greta pottery' and Wilson pottery. Pottery production ceased in Burton in Lonsdale at the end of the Second World War, however two local potteries, Bentham pottery and Ingleton pottery now carry on the tradition. >> more information

Local History Links

W. H. Chippindall (1931) “The parish registers of the church of Thornton-in-Lonsdale, 1576-1812”,

C.T.J. Dodson. The Earl of Derby's Courthouse at Burton in Lonsdale Hudson History, Settle, North Yorkshire, 2003.

C.T.J. Dodson. Richard Thornton's Endowments Sesquicentennial Year at Burton in Lonsdale Yorkshire History Quarterly Vol. 10 No. 1 (2004) 13-15.

 

 

Home |News |Churches | History| Local Gazetter| Village Shop| Parish Council| Village Hall |Parish Plan |Sport

 

 

Copyright © 2012 www.burton-in-lonsdale.net. All Rights Reserved.